Tuesday, October 29, 2019

#1 67 Camaro





The 67 Camaro


This is my first official collecting spotlight. I did not have a choice in the first casting review. The universe chose it for me.
For a college course, I had to write about a childhood toy that changed my life. This is the one. Later that day after I had submitted my paper, I happened into a local dollar store and they had a fesh stocked wall of Hot Wheels. The basic treasure hunt version of this very casting hangs deep on a peg, just patiently waiting there for me to purchase. This is the first treasure hunt I have found on a peg in a very long time. It has been decided.
          Originally received as a gift in celebration of my 12th year alive on this rock. I was already into cars and this one was on a long list of cars I dreamed about. The images here are of the original gift that has traveled with me for now 35 years. It has its scratches and play wear but it has never left my collection. So what is it about this casting (which is still current - 2019 Treasure Hunt) that makes it so special? Well, let's look at the real life impact this car has had.
         Hot Wheels is taking off in 1968 with a line of cool diecast cars. The "custom camaro" was in the initial 16 lineup. At the same time, on the streets, the muscle car era is just beginning to take shape and the Camaro is in a head to head battle to gain the pony car market over the Ford Mustang released a few years prior. Instantly thrust into a group of cars that will shape automotive history for decades. The Camaro has been an American automotive icon for 45 years and continues even into today. There has even been several versions at the dealerships that are a Hot Wheels edition and sport the beloved flame logo of our hobbies kingdom.

        So what better way would a car struck child have to get involved with cars than a toy that can be carried in a pocket everywhere he (or she) goes? Sure matchbox and other toys are out there but Hot Wheels just headed right for the top with cool spectraflame paint jobs, opening hoods, redline tires and cragar style mags. This particular casting (circa 1982) retains most of the familiar lines of the original casting and touched up some of the features to keep it cool. The hood vents are not representative of the real cars but they do look cool. The side pipes got added and gave it some of that muscle authenticity. The metallic green almost has the appearance of the spectraflame paints but keeps it in the 80s with all that flake. Lowriders and the high flake paint jobs are beginning to get noticed in the real life custom car world at this time which fits this casting right into the era it was cast into.
         The black roof represents the vinyl tops of the day and does a great job giving the look. The hood mechanism is simplistic but does the job perfectly even to this day. The hood has been offered closed and operational throughout its life but the recent treasure hunt has a closed version, unfortunately. This casting may see another review later on as it did evolve some over the years and deserves some more review. Overall, I think they did a great job with the lines of the car, the grill is spot on and the tail lights are also represented well including the lock for the trunk. This casting is sentimental to me personally as it was my first point in collecting Hot Wheels, a hobby that now spans decades of my life.


3 comments:

  1. Great bit for my lunch break my friend. Looking forward to the other treasures your collection holds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool stuff. I look forward to more of these. I build model cars, so collector to collector saying good job

    ReplyDelete

The Urus

  This is the last actual real-world Lamborghini and the last post for my “Celebration of the Bull” journey. I hope you have enjoyed these p...