Thursday, March 5, 2020

id 20-14 - Arachnorod


               

Arachnorod– id
The name says all it needs to. This is a fantasy casting and has been in the mainline for quite some time. It was first released in the mainline in 2000. I rarely like the fantasy lines and even least, the animal related lines. However, this one comes from a time when I was deep in the collecting and I admit that I really like the Arachnorod. I think that this is actually believable as a car.



As is the theme with the id series, the Arachnorod-id is a great addition to any collection. The paint is two tone, black base and grey details. From the top, the detailing makes it look like an actual spider. There is a red spider on the nose of the car that hints at a black widow. The engine cover and exhaust are in chrome and are also highly detailed. If you look closely at the detailing of the front end, you can see the imprints of the eyes and fangs of a spider! Note that on some Arachnorods (mainline) the eyes are actually open with a plastic insert! The more you look around this casting, the more really cool features come out. One feature I didn’t catch until taking the pictures for the post are the wheels. If you look at them head on, the spokes are chrome. The darkness of the wheel well leads you to believe the wheels are typical black plastic. However, turn the car over and add a little light, the wheels are actually a translucent smoke color! The red from the plastic base shines through to highlight the red even more!






I honestly passed on this one several times. Then as I was cruising through the smile company, I noticed it was on sale, so I snatched one for my collection. I am very pleased with the purchase and will not be passing on Arachnorods anymore!




This car is ok in the app, it is the better of the street beast series in my opinion. It handles well and is pretty fast.


Thank you,
Collector Quentin


I own the actual diecast pictured in this post. However, all packaging artwork, Mattel or Hot Wheels logos, paint descriptions, wheel descriptions and id logos are copyrights of the Mattel toy company.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there im an avid Arachnorod collector. I have 23 of the casting which I've opened and I have the same ones still carded. I'm trying to find the elusive blue with the orange spider on top. Any ideas to help me find this one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not aware of a Blue and Orange combination. In 2000 there was a version that is orange with blue canopy and a chrome spider. It is fairly common and can be picked up on ebay for around $3. There is one other version in from 2013 that is orange with a blue canopy and a gold spider. If you are referring to either of these releases, your best bet is either ebay or flea markets. There are also some online dealers that sell older individual peices but you will likely pay going collector prices.

    ReplyDelete

The Urus

  This is the last actual real-world Lamborghini and the last post for my “Celebration of the Bull” journey. I hope you have enjoyed these p...